About a year and a half ago I posted a healthy recipe for tuna salad. It was lower in fat due to limiting the added mayonnaise in the salad. However, I have since perfected the tuna salad, and now offer an even healthier version of it.
First, you can find the old recipe here: http://healthyeatingforrealpeople.blogspot.com/2009/06/healthy-recipe-replacement-tuna-salad.html
Now for the new and improved recipe:
- 2 cans chunk light tuna (or if preferred albacore tuna)
- 2 tablespoons chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion (if preferred you can cut this down to 1 tablespoon of each)
- 1 tablespoon hummus (the super secret ingredient!)
- 1/2 tablspoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup “secret ingredient” plain lowfat yogurt
Drain tuna. Place all ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine. Measure out 5, 1/4 cup servings in a storage container. Lunch for the work week is served!
The hummus, while still adding some fat (good fat!) and flavor, makes this recipe even healthier than the original I posted. Hummus is a true superfood, and I am trying to find more and more uses for it.