Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Buckwheat: A Hidden Health Jewel

If you, like I, had never heard of buckwheat, you are in for a treat. (Note: If you came to this site thinking you were going to read about the Little Rascals' character of the same name, you will be disappointed.) We have an independently owned and run pancake house near work and one day last fall a coworker suggested we go there.

"They have pumpkin pancakes", he informed me.

I was in. I love pumpkin flavored everything from donuts (big no-no) to pie (also not great). The pumpkin pancakes were incredible.

The next time I visited the pancake house pumpkin season was over. Wanting to try to find something whole-grain, I ordered the buckwheat pancakes on a whim. After the first bite I thought I had made a mistake. Nothing that good could be good for you, could it?

I began to research buckwheat. I found that it was the non-grain grain. It is actually a fruit! And it has many nutritional advantages.

Click here to read about buckwheat's nutrition: Birkett Mills Buckwheat Nutrition

So now I can go to the pancake house, order buckwheat pancakes with blueberry syrup, a side of turkey sausage, and have no guilt!

1 comment:

  1. Buckwheat is a fruit? Cool! I will have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget
There was an error in this gadget