Monday, June 8, 2009

Healthy Recipe Replacement: Tuna Salad

If you are like me you probably like tuna salad sandwiches. And since I am following the Mediterranean diet I am supposed to have 2-4 servings of fish per week. Tuna seems like a good way to get some fish into my diet.

The problem with tuna salad though is that most of the time it is prepared with mayonnaise which is high in fat and cholesterol. You could go with a low or no fat version of mayo, but then you are getting a lot of additional sugar introduced into your diet.

Then I found the following tuna salad recipe:

From: Balanced Health And Nutrition Blog

Ingredient List

- 2 cans chunk light tuna (no need to bother with albacore tuna – it is more expensive and has a higher mercury content)

- 2 tablespoons relish

- 1/2 tablespoon mayo (I used light, but you are using such a small amount you can also use full fat. )

- 1/2 tablspoon dijon mustard

- 1/2 cup “secret ingredient” plain lowfat yogurt

Drain tuna. Place all ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine. Measure out 5, 1/4 cup servings in a storage container. Lunch for the work week is served!


I have found that I like to alter this recipe in the following way:

1 tablespoon (or more) of diced onions and 1 tablespoon (or more) of diced green pepper in place of the 2 tablespoons of relish. (Relish has too much sugar in it.)

Play with the amount of yogurt to make the tuna a little less "wet". I have found that 2 to 3 tablespoons will suffice.


Serve this on whole grain bread, or (for you Atkins' fans) make lettuce wraps.

Now, as I said in the first entry on this blog, I am not the type to eat a substitute that doesn't taste right just because it is better for me. But the great thing about this recipe is that I can't tell the difference between it and regular, full mayo tuna salad! It really is good tasting and good for you.

2 comments:

  1. LoneWolf, you can also substitute tuna for salmon (canned or fresh). I've even done it with crab meat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good call! Canned crab meat is actually really good and you can make all kinds of things with it including a tuna salad like crab salad.

    The only problem is cost. Salmon and crab tend to be quite a bit more expensive than tuna. And tuna is still high in omega-3s. But for variety's sake it is good to mix it up like you suggest.

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget
There was an error in this gadget